Nowadays SEO is hitting the charts all around the web. When we talk about SEO, meta tags are considered to be one of the best SEO practices. But what these meta tags are all about? Why are Meta tags SEO best practices? What makes them so important? If you already know these facts than you might be called as a master of SEO practices but if you are about to start your career in digital marketing field than there is a need to understand that properly. Here is the beginner’s guide on meta tags SEO best practices that will allow you to do SEO and other tasks like a pro.
Meta tags have long been known as one of the most basic fundamentals of SEO. They have been around from the date Search engines were invented. Not only this, meta tags were considered as one of the primary factors through which search engines decides websites ranking. However, as the technology was upgraded people started to misuse meta-tags and tried to trick SERP’s and the day came when Google finally opted that meta tags will not be considered in website ranking. But does that mean they are useless? Well, that’s a big misconception.
Meta Tags SEO Best Practices – Explained
Meta tags are those mighty little words that are hidden in between your coding lines. People reading your blog cannot read them, but search engines do read them. They are located in between the <head > tag of your HTML area. These are usually divided into three parts:-
- Title: This is the title text which will be shown in when you are listed in the search engine. It will be the title of your page. This isn’t actually a meta tag but an important element in SEO practice.
- Description: The Meta description tag is actually that part of the meta-tag where you put a brief summary about your website. You tell people what all are you offering them. Search engines usually just read up first 20-30 words from this description so try to keep your Meta description short and adequate.
- Keywords: These are the meta keywords where you will put all those keywords which you have used on the site. These are the words through which you will target your audience. Remember that your keywords occupy a great importance they must be so to the point that only through reading a keyword the user should get an idea about what your website is all about.
The combination of these three forms the meta tag of your website and later account to meta tags SEO best practices that will benefit you while ranking your website on search engines.
Why are Meta Tags Important?
Let us know why are meta tags SEO best practices? Search Engines do not rank websites according to them, but they do read these meta tags to know what sort of content is there on your website. Google compares the content with the meta tags to know that whether your description matches the content which is already published. This help to identify the niche of your website.
Meta descriptions are important as the users directly see this description on the user’s result page, so this will count as the primary impression of your page in front of your readers. As per a fact, a good meta description can drive you a lot more traffic than a website with the poor meta description. It must contain the very specific and user-targeted information which is catchy too.
Not only this even if you own a blog and have a plugin like Yoast SEO. The plugin too emphasizes the importance of these Meta tags. But many of you might be thinking about how to write the Meta tags? Well here is the answer for this:-
Checklist On Writing Meta Tags
Here is a list of few things which you must take into consideration while you are writing a Meta tag:-
- Keywords: As already explained Keywords are very important in meta-description. So do make sure to add the necessary keywords in the meta-tags of your blog or website.
- Legible and Readable: So what if users do not read the Meta tags. They still need to be very much readable with much keyword stuffing. Just one or two keywords will do the trick. Added keywords will never solve the queries of the searchers and may lead to making your website a spam site.
- Treat meta-Description as an advertisement of your page: It must be compelling and eye catchy. It must force the user to click on your page so try to make it too appealing but avoid too much keyword stuffing here also.
- Length: This is a usual problem which beginners face. What should be the length of their Meta descriptions? So as per my experience, something around a 150 character long Meta description will be quite appropriate for your page. Google doesn’t read more than that they will chop the end off. Also, make sure that the catchy keywords are at the beginning of your description.
- Plagiarism in Meta descriptions: Beginners think that they can copy the best Meta description and paste it as it is but let me make it very clear. Copying or adding plagiarized content or meta description will only result in lowering down your ranking.
- Try using Rich Meta Tags: There is a whole list of best meta tags available all around the internet in case you are trying to find a good meta tag for you website. Use some sort of ratings and reviews in your description, so that people can form a good impression about your website.
Meta tags might be losing their importance with the passage of time when it comes to SEO. However, it can still be considered as the best technique when it comes to proper site navigation.
SEO techniques might help you to get good ranks on Google, but meta tags and descriptions appeal those users to click on the links and enter the page which is equally important.